Yesterday, ESPN host, Jemele Hill, was suspended by the network for tweeting out that fans who support the players' right to #takeaknee should boycott Dallas Cowboys' advertisers. Recently the Cowboy's owner, Jerry Jones, stated that he would bench players who "disrespected the flag," making him the first owner to publicly support Donald Trump's directive.
First, I'd like to shout out Jemele Hill who just put her job and security on the line (she's now facing a barrage of threats from Twitter troglodytes incited by - deadass - the President of the United States) to support all the players protesting systemic racism and police brutality. THAT is using your GD platform.
Second, I'd like to shout her out AGAIN because she's totally right - boycotting Dallas Cowboy advertisers IS a great way to get to Jerry Jones! The dude is ruled by money and apparently DJT, to whom he's donated millions. Plus, boycotting a brand's advertisers is a very effective form of retaliation against a brand by hitting them where it hurts: their bottomline (see: Breitbart).
So let's get this party started and figure out which advertisers we should boycott!
The below list is a quick and dirty compilation of advertisers known to advertise a LOT during Cowboys games (mainly: AT&T) and advertisers I found browsing the Dallas Cowboys site last night/this morning. Screenshots of the site with sponsorships are called out in yellow bubbles below, and brand names on this list link to that brand's Twitter account. Give 'em a shout will, ya? I even wrote little prompts to make it real easy - it is Tuesday, after all.
- AT&T - This Dallas-based Telecom conglomerate is easily the Cowboys' biggest advertiser. I mean, yes the Cowboys games play in AT&T stadium. Side note: AT&T donated $2.1 million to Trump's inauguration.
- Sample tweet: "Dropping @ATT and switching to @Verizon unless they stop donating to Trump and supporting Jerry Jones #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Draft Kings - Omg these guys were on every. Single. Page. of the Dallas Cowboys site. For the uninitiated, Draft Kings allows you to play fantasy sports for money. And while neither gambling nor Sunday Football are particularly my cup of tea, who am I to yuck your yum? If you still want to get your fantasy on, there are TONs of Draft Kings competitors, including FanDuel, a site Draft Kings almost merged with earlier this year. Hit 'em where it hurts, right?
- Sample tweet: "How much do you pay the Cowboys, @DraftKings? How's it feel to fund systemic oppression? Taking my money to @FanDuel. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- MasterPass (product of Mastercard) - Big honking ad on the front page. What it is: digital wallet. Fortunately for you, their product isn't exactly unique. Main competitors include Google Wallet, ApplePay/Apple Wallet and Paypal - use those instead.
- Sample tweet: "Was interested in trying out @Mastercard MasterPass but will be sticking with @GoogleWallet until they drop Cowboys sponsorship. #takeaknee"
- Pepsi - "The Official Soft Drink of The Dallas Cowboys." Drink Coke, or like, water. Just don't turn to...
- Sample tweet: "Official Soft Drink of the Cowboys? Officially not drinking @Pepsi. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Dr. Pepper - Honestly, getting Dr. Pepper to drop their sponsorship is a mercy kill. WHY would you sponsor a team whose official soft drink is a competitor? Also FYI - Snapple falls into this category too because it's The Dr. Pepper Snapple Group. Also avoid these while you're at it: Mott's, Canada Dry, Bai beverages, Yoo Hoo.
- Sample tweet: "TBH diet @DrPepper is delicious but won't be drinking it again until they stop sponsoring @dallascowboys. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- American Airlines - Sponsor of "Cowboys Talk."
- Sample tweet: "Stop sponsoring systemic oppression via @dallascowboys advert $$ and I'll consider flying @americaair again. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Bank of America - teeny tiny logo on the top of the page. If my ad-tech memory serves me correctly, this placement is general a little bonus for a bigger sponsorship, so don't think that small logo = small money.
- Sample tweet: "Just add sponsorship of @dallascowboys to long list of reasons to stay away from @BankofAmerica. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Mercedes - just buy a Tesla instead, amirite?
- Sample tweet: "Ugh @mercedesbenz stop advertising with @dallascowboys. You're embarrassing yourself. #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Albertson's Market
- Sample tweet: "Will be avoiding @Albertsons until they drop sponsorship of @dallascowboys #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- Petit Jean Meats
- Sample tweet: "Staying away from @PetitJeanMeats until they drop @dallascowboys partnership #takeaknee #changemgmt"
- MillerCoors - full blogpost pending, but you should fully avoid these guys if you don't want to touch anything associated with Trump (a member of their board and former MillerCoors chairman hosted a fundraiser for Trump last year).
- Sample tweet: "Another reason @BudLight is better than @Millerlite - they don't sponsor systemic oppression by giving JJ money @Millercoors #takeaknee"